“My Bike” Kicks Off to HELP MORE KIDS!
“My Bike” has been on the move to Eastern Pennsylvania, and we are thrilled to recap two of our recent kickoff presentations to serve kids in Carbon, Luzerne, and Wyoming Counties!
On Thursday, May 23rd, we kicked off our “My Bike” Program for kids in Luzerne and Wyoming Counties in partnership with the Luzerne Intermediate Unit 18 and Organized Labor, and we presented 10 adaptive bikes! Our presentation was combined with their massive Field Day event for more than 700 kids with disabilities, so it was truly a day of pure joy and fun.
Mikey’s mom, Nicole summed up what the day meant to WNEP-TV, “To be able to find a bike, one that he can ride and be able to do something that’s typical is just amazing, and from a mom standpoint, to be able to see him ride a bike and smile again, it’s very emotional.”
Check out some of the coverage that we received from the day and share in the joy with us:
- The Citizens’ Voice: https://www.citizensvoice.com/news/photos-charity-presents-adaptive-bikes-to-local-children-1.2486761
- Fox 56-TV: https://fox56.com/news/local/getting-the-wheels-rolling-bikes-for-kids-with-special-needs
- PA Homepage: https://www.pahomepage.com/news/smiles-and-laughs-my-bike-program-provide-adaptive-bikes/2021746275
- WNEP-TV: https://wnep.com/2019/05/23/kids-with-disabilities-zoom-off-on-new-bikes/
Then, on Wednesday, June 21st, we kicked off “My Bike” with the Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit 21 team to present 12 adaptive bikes to kids in Carbon County!
For 12-year old Ryan (top left in the above photo) this adaptive bike will open him up to more activities with his family.
His mom, Amanda told us, “An adaptive bike would be special to my child because it will help him develop the motor and physical skills it takes to ride a bike. My son wants to be able to ride a bike with us when we go on bike rides.
He has a hard time riding a regular bike and an adaptive bike would allow him to be able to do something he hasn’t been able to accomplish. An adaptive bike would allow him to make new friends because he would be doing something age appropriate.”
Check out some of the coverage we received and share in the joy with us:
- Times News: https://www.tnonline.com/special-needs-children-fitted-adaptive-bikes
- BRC13-TV: https://www.brctv13.com/news/local-news/24154-special-bikes-gifted-to-special-kids
- WNEP-TV: https://wnep.com/2019/06/12/carbon-county-students-get-special-adaptive-bikes/
These were our first presentations of bikes in Luzerne, Wyoming, and Carbon Counties, and we hope it only gets bigger from here.