Dear Variety Friends,
Variety Board Member Joyce Bender graciously had me on her radio show a few weeks ago to discuss Variety’s work and mission (including recent updates), and I thought it would be a great “refresher” for all of us to enjoy. You can see the full media release below or click on a link to listen now!
- Listen to it Online at https://www.voiceamerica.com/episode/127582/mission-of-variety-the-childrens-charity.
- Listen to it on Spotify https://open.spotify.com/show/2GA5Y37nK77tU4n7yXkNvD
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/id419233724
Here’s to a new year with great opportunity and the chance to change kids’ lives!
Take good care,
Charles P. LaVallee
Chief Executive Officer
Variety – the Children’s Charity
Disability Matters with Joyce Bender
Available ON DEMAND if missed live@
Contact: Lee Hassinger
Mission of Variety the Children’s Charity:
Joyce welcomes Charlie LaVallee, CEO of Variety the Children’s Charity to the show. Variety the Children’s Charity is a non-profit organization that strives to enable children with disabilities to live life to the fullest with a focus on mobility, communication, and social interaction throughout 71 counties in Pennsylvania and West Virginia. They will discuss the programs and services of this non-profit organization, and the importance of giving to this cause during the holiday season.
Bio of Charlie LaVallee:
- Has worked for more than 30 years to raise awareness in the community of the issues of uninsured children and adults, grieving children and their families, children with special health care needs and their families, children who have been physically and/or sexually abused, and children who are homeless.
- Previously served as the director of the Homeless Education Network (HEN). HEN is a collaborative initiative of the Homeless Children’s Education Fund (HCEF) and seeks to advocate and develop resources for children and youth experiencing homelessness.
- Has directed the Caring Program for Children, the first private sector initiative in the nation providing healthcare coverage for children in low income families who were ineligible for Medicaid. By working with members of the Pennsylvania General Assembly and the Governor’s Office, the Caring Program was used as the model for what is now known as the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) of Pennsylvania.
- Has also been involved extensively on a national platform creating and implementing the federal State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).
Joyce A. Bender Career Highlights:
- Serves as president and CEO of Bender Consulting Services, Inc. – www.benderconsult.com.
- Lives with epilepsy and a hearing loss.
- Advocates for the competitive employment for people with disabilities.
- Serves as vice-chair of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and former chair of the board.
- Represented the US State Department on information exchanges on disability employment in Panama, South Korea, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan and Tunisia.
- Serves as chair of Epilepsy Association of Western and Central PA.
- Received the 2003 New Freedom Initiative Award from the Bush Administration.
- Recognized with the 1999 President’s Award from President Clinton.
- Board member of Pittsburgh’s Civic Light Opera.
- Board member of the Bazelon Center.
- Newly appointed member of the board of the World Institute on Disability (WID).
December 29, 2020
2020 Reflections and 2021 Goals for the Disability Community
Joyce welcomes two disability leaders, Maria Town, president and CEO of American Association of People with Disabilities and Kelly Buckland, executive director of the National Council on Independent Living to the show. The guests will discuss issues, accomplishments, and trends in the community to keep Joyce’s listeners appraised on what is happening on a national basis in the area of disability. They will reflect on the past COVID-19 year of 2020 and what to look forward to in 2021.